Initial Best Practices & Lessons Learned at a Facility Level
DBOM Awareness & Local Area Solicitation Letters :
- Should be sent to Organizations & Churches within 25 – 30 miles of Facility.
While Methodist churches are most familiar with the “Disciple” format, we seek sponsors and team members from any Christian faith/church.
- We teach the Gospel, not an “ism” ( Methodism, Lutheranism, Catholicism, etc ).
Partner with a few Key “Anchor Churches” to see if they and their members will consider helping supply facilitators and provide for occasional expenses like :
- Books & Bibles
Financial resource requirements of a successful DBOM State level affiliate include :
- State Affiliate Costs cover :
- Annual DBOM affiliation Fee
- DBOM Website resources
- Annual Training & Certification Programs from DBOM
- Liability Insurance
- Annual DBOM affiliation Fee
- Local facility costs of approximately $100 per student ( Books & Bibles )
- Each Participant receives their own :
- DBOM Student Study Guide
- CEB Wesley Study Bible
- Each Participant receives their own :
What are the human resource requirements of a successful DBOM affiliate ?
- First we have to decide how many facilities we can successfully launch in while we define the “recipe for success” in Illinois.
- A Coordinator or Team Leader needs to be in place for each selected facility.
- Facilitators willing to help conduct the Study, and share their own witness are important.
- Building a trusting relationship with “Outside Volunteers” is one of the greatest gifts these men/women can receive.
A “Local Team Covenant” should exist to assure all members understand their obligation to :
- Control Expenses.
- Take ownership of any Unapproved Expenses.
- Be actively engaged in DBOM Promotion & Fund Raising.
- Actively seek out new team members.
- Commit to being in attendance most weeks, so the Team never has to cancel.
Upon identification of a local Chaplain’s name, consider having the Chaplain from an existing DBOM Facility ( like Pekin ) give a DBOM endorsement. A proven track record can help significantly in opening the new doors.
Consider using Photo-Copies of Student Book & Applicable Bible Pages for first Two weeks.
- When a Student shows up for the Third Session, he/she can then be given their Guidebook & Bible.
- This is a good indication that they are serious and will continue attending.
- If you hand out Books and Bibles in session one, you run the risk of a number of those students not returning.
Encourage any New Team to meet with experienced DBOM of IL facilitators, to assure “lessons learned” are transferred, and new facilitator questions are answered.
Items to be ready to discuss with the Chaplain during the initial Face to Face Contact :
- We need to make sure the Facility is a long term facility, not a transition facility.
- Disciple Studies require 24 – 34 weeks to complete, so we need to make sure the residents can complete the study.
- When required, we have had some success breaking the studies into individual Old Testament and New Testament segments, turning them into 12 – 17 week study commitments.
- Ideally we need a 2 hour time-slot to effectively conduct “Disciple”.
- Ask the Chaplain what weekday & time slot would best help him/her ?
- Confirm whether Male & Female facilitators are both allowed in this facility ?
- What is the availability of musical instruments, or what is allowed if you want to incorporate music ?
- What kind of facility space can be regularly used for the weekly sessions ?
- Is he/she comfortable with a “class” size of approximately 15-25 students ?
- Is he/she willing to Promote the Study internally, post a sign-up sheet, and screen the roster ?
- What is the availability of TV/DVD equipment ?
- Is he/she willing to coordinate the necessary Security Clearance process ?
- Have a copy of the Disciple Guidebook and Bible you plan to use for the Chaplain to keep & use in his/her Promotions.
- Confirm these exact books are acceptable for prisoners to possess in this facility ?
- Do inmates have ready access to writing instruments, or is it necessary for us to supply them ?
- If we need to provide them, what type are allowed ( Pekin allows red pencils ) ?
- Experience indicates the typical facility startup process looks like :
- Make sure the Chaplain is willing, What he/she is expecting & allowing ( 2 hr sessions needed ), and When he/she is willing to allow us to come in each week.
- Contact DBOM Board, to get approval to move forward with assembling a Team in the name of DBOM.
- Assemble a local Team ( minimum of 3 facilitators ). A team of four or five is ideal.
- This helps assure that the team can show up every week, but that individual facilitators can take an occasional week off without crippling the team.
- Get volunteer applications submitted to IDOC or BOP.
- Order Material for anticipated class size……. Order extra.
- Train the Team :
- Disciple Training
- DBOM Training
- DOC/BOP Volunteer Training
- Agree with Chaplain on exact start date.
- Have Chaplain inform inmates of the study and enroll the desired number of inmates.
- Once Badged – Execute the plan.
- Team Leader will become a DBOM of IL Board Member, in order to keep the Board appraised of progress and needs.
IL DOC Inmate Statistics
How Many Inmates are in IDOC Facilities ?
- Right at 50,000 individuals are currently serving sentences in IL.
How Many different Facilities make up the IDOC ?
- 27 Facilities ( 24 Male, and 3 Female )
- 4 Maximum, 13 Medium, 10 Minimum, + 7 Work Camps
What is the annual Tax payer COST of “housing” each inmate ?
What percentage of Inmates typically return to Prison after their release ?
- 47% is the current “Recidivism Rate”, but this is low compared to the historical mid 60’s rate.
- Statistics show that for inmates that take active part in a Bible Study during their incarceration, their recidivism rate drops closer to 36%.
How frequently do prisoners get visited ?
- There were 357,302 records of visitation in 2011, so with a Population of 50,000 inmates that is an average of 7 visits per year. But this average can be deceiving because many prisoners receive no visitors at all.
How many times per day are inmates subjected to a Role Call or Shakedown ?
- Typically about once every four hours, or 6 Times per day.
What is the Male/Female mix ?
- 94% male and 6% Female.
What is the Racial mix ?
- 57% Black, 30% White, 12% Hispanic, 1% Asian & American Indian.
What is the Age mix ?
- 18-21 = 8%, 22-29 = 27%, 30-44 = 43%, 45-54 = 16%, 55+ = 6%
What is the Marriage status mix ?
- 15% of the population is listed as currently married.
How many Prisoners have Kids ?
- 37% have no children, 20% have 1 child, 17% have 2 children, 11% have 3 children, and 15% have 4 or more children.
What is the mix by Country of Birth ?
- 94% were born in the USA.
What is the typical “Offense” mix ?
- This varies by facility, based on the level of Security of each, but on average the mix is :
- 15% Murder, 24% Class X, 17% Class 1, 22% Class 2, 9% Class 3, 12% Class 4, and 1% Unclassified.
What is the Educational Level mix ?
- 40% have not finished High-School or earned a GED.
How many prisoners are Registered Sex Offenders ?
Let’s connect. Subscribe to get our latest news.
Help bring the Gospel to Men and Women in Prison
Your participation helps us provide materials to minister and share the Word of God.
Disciple Bible Outreach Ministries
P.O. Box 358
Oak Island, NC 28465
Toll-free (855) 980-7400
If you make my word your home you will indeed be my disciples.