“To develop and strengthen Bible study ministries in local churches and in outreach settings – especially prisons – which will transform lives, make disciples, and empower Christians for outreach ministry.”
“Making disciples through Bible study to bring God’s grace to a hurting world.”
Disciple Bible Outreach Ministry is managed by:
- Working as a liaison between institutional officials (prison administrators, chaplains etc.), pastors, and volunteers
- Providing volunteer recruitment, training and ongoing supervision
- Providing financial resources for the Disciple Bible Outreach ministry including leadership training and study materials (manuals, videos and study Bibles).
- Working with the State Department of Corrections, Federal prisons, and local jails and detention centers on behalf of the Annual Conferences.
DBOM of Illinois History
What is the history or background on DBOM inc?
- Disciple Bible Outreach Ministries was established in North Carolina in 1999 and the curriculum has been used successfully in over 70 North Carolina prisons since then.
- In 2011 expansion began into other States including Tennessee, Louisiana, and in 2013 we began implementation in Illinois.
Why are you aligning with DBOM inc. versus Kairos, Bereans, or any of the other established Prison Ministry Programs?
- There are a number of high quality outreach programs underway in many prisons, and we felt it was important to conduct a High Quality Bible Study, that could be Consistently replicated across Illinois and the country, and for which the Leader & Student material had already been developed and prison validated.
- This DBOM inc Web-site, Training & Teaching Resources, and Affiliation with these other States as well as with the United Methodist Church ( General Commission on United Methodist Men ), are all reasons we formed an Illinois DBOM Affiliate in 2013. This organized approach to leading a Prison Based Bible study begin being implemented in Illinois Prisons in 2013.
What does the DBOM “Study” typically consist of?
- Disciple Bible Outreach Ministry utilizes the 32 – 34 Week outlined studies from the “Disciple” Study Guide assembled by Richard and Julia Wilke.
- We have also used the 24 week “Disciple Fast Track” developed by their daughter Susan.
- If the chaplain won’t commit to the full study length, we have had success breaking the Old Testament and New Testament halves of each study into separate segments to produce a 12 – 17 week study.
- Disciple Bible Outreach Ministries of Illinois has been incorporated as a 501C3 non-profit by a “Board” of Men & Women that began organizing the implementation in Illinois Prisons in 2013. The successes in those initial facilities can now be used to share an Exciting Story and to document a “Recipe for Success” to be used in additional Illinois facilities.
How many/which facilities are you planning to initially launch into in Illinois?
- We initially targeted 3 State facilities in Decatur, Lincoln, and Stateville ( Joliet area ) .
- We initially targeted 1 Federal facility in Pekin.
Solidarity with people in prison is at the heart of Christian discipleship and ministry. Jesus claimed “release to prisoners” as central to his mission (Luke 4:18); and he declared that visiting those in prison is a means of visiting him (Matthew 25:36 ). And, let us remember that Jesus himself was a convicted felon and was executed by the Roman government. What better way to grow in discipleship than sharing in Bible study with people who live behind prison walls? There we will meet the Crucified and Risen Christ!
DBOM of Illinois Board of Directors:
G. James (Jim) Bolinger, Treasurer, IGRC
Eddie Carpenter, IGRC
Bill Denwood, Secretary, NIC
Betty Erickson, NIC
Beth Fender, President, IGRC
George Groves, Vice-President, NIC
John Haeffele, IGRC
Rita L. Smith, NIC
Howard Woolard, President, IGRC
Lisa Wiedman, IGRC
Nothing is more important today than Prison ministry. We have so many men and women behind bars. I am so proud of Disciple Bible Outreach Prison Ministry. Taking the small group Bible study lead by laypersons into the men and women prisons is powerful. It is helping inmates change their lives. Laymen week by week go into the prison and build meaning Christ centered relationships. Mark Hicks has built the program prison by prisons and state by state, I am so proud of his leadership. Jesus said “I was in prison and you came to me – that is what Disciple is doing. God Bless, Disciple Bible Outreach Prison Ministry,
Team Locations & Updates
Pekin FCI (Men’s Medium Security Prison)
Last Two Quarterly Reports:
Pekin Women Volunteer Facilitator Interview
Pekin Workcamp (Women’s Low Security Camp)
Fall Plan 2018
Face-to-face “come and see” workshops introducing the ministry of DBOM of Illinois may be scheduled at any location within Illinois. Please contact Beth Fender, DBOM of Illinois for further information.
Online training is available for new volunteers wishing to be certified for the ministry. For access to the online training, please contact Mark Hicks, President of DBOM National at (855) 980-7400.
Let’s connect. Subscribe to get our latest news.
Help bring the Gospel to Men and Women in Prison
Your participation helps us provide materials to minister and share the Word of God.
Disciple Bible Outreach Ministries
P.O. Box 358
Oak Island, NC 28465
Toll-free (855) 980-7400
If you make my word your home you will indeed be my disciples.